On the menu today is this Minted Watermelon Salad with Bulgur flavored with honey and lime vinaigrette, a salad that we have been enjoying for lunch for the last 2 weeks. I love it, because it is so easy to put together with a ton of flavor in every bite. Not to mention, perfect for the season. I know a lot of people have their go-to watermelon salad recipe. I am no different. For a long time, mine was this Watermelon, Avocado, and Mint Salad with Feta Cheese recipe, but this year I thought I could switch things up a little bit and try something new. And I am glad I did, because this recipe is now my go-to watermelon summer salad dish. At least, for now.
About the recipe:
To make it, I mixed fresh watermelon, cucumbers, and mint with fine bulgur. To cook bulgur, I used my mother’s technique: simply pour boiling water over bulgur (and a pinch of salt) and let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. While bulgur was cooking on the counter, I made a quick dressing by whisking together lime zest and juice, honey, and olive oil together. Then I mixed watermelon, mint, bulgur and cucumbers together in a large bowl and drizzled it with the dressing. Since we are not observing a vegan diet, I garnished it with some crumbled feta cheese, but it is still delicious without it, if that is a concern to you. The best part: It all came together in less than 15 minutes.
I used a melon baller to make the watermelon look pretty, but sliced or cubed watermelon would certainly work as well. However, if you are serving this for a party, people love the visual of cute watermelon balls nested in bulgur and cucumber slices with gorgeous green colored fresh mint. The recipe below serves 4 people, but feel free to double or even triple the recipe, if you are serving this for a crowd.
Either way, this simple salad is such an easy and quick way to please a crowd for any party or just for you for a refreshing summer lunch.
Minted Watermelon Salad with Bulgur
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Salad
- For the dressing:
- Zest of one lime
- 1/4 cup of lime juice, freshly squeezed (from 4-5 limes)
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For the watermelon salad:
- 1/2 cup fine bulgur
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups of seedless watermelon, scooped using a melon baller or cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 medium size cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Flaky salt, for finishing
- To make the dressing: Place lime zest, juice, olive oil, honey, and salt and pepper in a jar. Put the lid on and shake until they are all combined. Place it in the fridge while you are prepping the salad ingredients.
- To make the salad: Place bulgur and salt in a heatproof bowl. Pour the boiling water over bulgur. Let is sit on the counter until all of the water is absorbed by bulgur.
- Place the watermelon balls (or cubes), chopped mint, sliced cucumbers and feta cheese in a large salad bowl. Add in the now-cooked bulgur and give it a gentle stir. Drizzle it with the dressing.
- When ready to serve, finish each portion with a pinch of flaky salt (like Maldon salt).
For this recipe to work, make sure you are using fine bulgur.
If you liked this salad recipe, you might also like…