Cream of Zucchini Soup Recipe
A healthy zucchini soup recipe made with 5 ingredients in one pot in 30 minutes. This is the best way to use your garden zucchini. Serve it warm or cold this easy soup is guaranteed to please.
Servings 4 servings
- 4 medium sized zucchini (approximately 1 ½ lbs) peeled & cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1 small onion peeled and cut into half
- 1 medium-sized 5 oz. Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 4 cups of vegetable broth or chicken broth*
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt Sauce or a few dollops of sour cream
- 4 tablespoons Lemon Juice Freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoon fresh dill or fresh parsley chopped
Place zucchini, onion, potato, garlic, vegetable broth, and salt and pepper in a medium size saucepan with a lid over medium-high heat.
Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes until zucchini and potato are softened and tender.
Off the heat, using an immersion blender (regular blender or food processor), puree soup until creamy and no chunks remaining.
Garnish with a dollop of yogurt sauce, sour cream or a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh herbs.
- Do You Peel Zucchini for Soup? I do not peel the zucchini when making this soup. Fresh zucchinis during zucchini season have thin, tender skin, so you can skip the peeling. Just remember, if you choose to leave the skin on, thoroughly wash before chopping.
- Use chicken broth: I wanted my zucchini soup vegan so I used vegetable broth as the liquid in the recipe. However, if you are okay with it not being vegan/vegetarian, you can make your zucchini soup with chicken broth. If you decide to do so, simply replace the 4 cups of vegetable broth with 2 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of water. Avoid using 4 cups of chicken broth, as the chicken taste will overpower the rest of the dish. With this being said, if you plan to serve this soup cold, it is highly recommended that you use vegetable stock. This will bring out the fresh flavors of the vegetables used.
- Storage: This Cream of Zucchini Soup can be stored in a refrigerator for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container. Before sealing the container, ensure the soup has reached room temperature.
- Freezing & thawing: You can freeze it by bringing the pureed soup to room temperature and sealing it into a freezer-safe airtight container. This soup can be frozen for up to 30 days. To thaw, remove it from the freezer a day before and let it thaw in the refrigerator. Heat it in a large saucepan before serving.
- The calorie information below does not reflect any calories coming from the optional toppings.
Calories: 74kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1538mg | Potassium: 632mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1017IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1mg