Mediterranean Chickpea, Farro, and Za'atar Salad
Chickpea Za’atar Salad with farro for a light and filling salad recipe you can make in no time. If you are into Mediterranean flavors and are in need of a healthy and wholesome salad recipe, you’ve come to the right place. This vegetarian farro chickpea salad is flavored with za’atar, feta cheese, and roasted veggies for a complete delicious meal for any day of the week.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup farro rinsed and drained
- 1 medium sized eggplant peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 14 oz. can chickpeas, drained and washed
- 2 scallions chopped both green and white parts
- 1 cup Kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- 4-6 ripe tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian Parsley chopped
- 3 tablespoons za’atar spice blend
- coarse sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
Preheat the oven 350 Degrees. Place eggplants on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Toss to mix. Roast for 35-40 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In the mean time, place water and 1 teaspoon salt into a medium size saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in the farro. Turn the heat to low, and cook for 30-35 minutes or until it is chewy. Drain and set aside.
In a small mixing bowl make a quick vinaigrette by whisking 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice,1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
In a large mixing bowl, place chickpeas, scallions, tomatoes, eggplant, farro, and fresh parsley. Drizzle the vinaigrette over.
Using your clean hands toss to combine. Top it off with feta cheese and sprinkle it with za’atar. Taste for seasoning and add if necessary.
Calories: 410kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 754mg | Potassium: 490mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 728IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 205mg | Iron: 6mg