Vegan Greek Nachos
These Vegan Greek Nachos are made by layering toasted pita bread with a simple Greek chickpea salad and drizzling them with a to-die-for herbed tahini dressing. Ready in less than 15-minutes and perfect as a quick snack or an appetizer for an outdoor summer party.
Servings 6 Servings
Toasted Pita Wedges:
- 4 7-inch whole wheat pitas
- 1 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- 1/2 teaspoon Fine sea salt
- 1 (15 ounces) chickpeas rinsed and drained, or 11⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 10 cherry tomatoes sliced (or 1 medium size tomato, chopped)
- 1 small cucumber sliced thinly
- ¼ cup chopped green onions about 2¼ cup
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup pitted and thinly sliced Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup Herbed Tahini Sauce sesame paste
- ¼ cup lemon juice from 1 1⁄2 to 2 lemons
- ¼ cup parsley flat leaf Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons water plus more as needed
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
To toast the pita wedges:
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
Brush both sides of the pitas with olive oil and lightly sprinkle with salt.
Stack 1 pita evenly on top of another and use a sharp chef’s knife to slice them into 8 small wedges, like you would a pizza.
Repeat with the remaining 2 pitas.
Arrange the wedges evenly across the baking sheet and bake until they are lightly crisp and golden, about 10 minutes, flipping halfway.
To assemble the salad:
In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas, tomato, cucumber, green onions, parsley, olives, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and salt.
Toss, then taste and add more salt, if necessary.
Set aside to marinate.
To make the tahini sauce:
In a small food processor, combine the tahini, lemon juice, herbs, water, and salt and blend until smooth, pausing to scrape down the sides as necessary. (Alternatively, you can finely chop the leafy herbs and whisk together the sauce in a liquid measuring cup.) The sauce should be nice and creamy, but drizzle easily off the back of a spoon—if not, blend in a bit more water.
Taste and add more salt, if necessary.
To assemble the nachos,
To assemble the nachos:
Arrange the toasted pita wedges across a large serving plate (some overlap is fine).
Stir the salad once more, then use a slotted serving spoon to scoop the salad onto the pita wedges, leaving the messy salad juices in the bowl.
Generously drizzle the herbed tahini sauce over the salad, then finish off the nachos with a light sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley.
These nachos are best consumed soon after assembling, as they get soggy over time, but I have enjoyed leftovers from the refrigerator the next day.
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 749mg | Potassium: 290mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 458IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 2mg