Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
This Slow Cooker Butter Chicken is an put-everything-and-forget-about-it kind of Indian crock pot dish for busy people, who love to eat good food. Soft and buttery chicken breasts cooked in slow cooker for 6 hours for perfection. Serve it by itself, or do what I did, and serve it with naan bread and white rice.
Servings 6 servings
For the Slow Cooker Butter Chicken:
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk 14-ounce
- ¾ cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 can tomato paste 6-ounce
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons garam marsala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 pounds skinless and boneless chicken breast pat dried and cut into 1-inch small cubes
For The Butter Chicken Sauce & Garnish:
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
To Serve with (Optional)
- Naan bread
- Cooked White rice
Place coconut milk, Greek yogurt, tomato paste, red curry paste, onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, ginger, garam marsala, paprika, turmeric, butter, salt and pepper into your slow cooker. Give it a mix.
Add the chicken and stir to coat.
Cook in low-heat setting for 6-7 hours* or in high setting for 3-4 hours. If you can, feel free to stir it a few times during the cooking. However, it is okay if you can’t.
After it is cooked, if you prefer the dish to be thicker, you can thicken the sauce by mixing the corn starch in a bowl with 1/4 cup of the liquid from the butter chicken until it dissolves. Then pour it into the slow cooker. Give it a stir and let it rest for 5 minutes.
Right before serving, stir in the lime juice.
Serve with naan bread and white rice and garnish with cilantro and almonds.
- The nutrition values below do not include the calories coming from the bread and rice.
- Mine was cooked at the end of 6 hours.
- If you are short on time you can cook this in high-heat setting for 3-4 hours.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 517kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 55g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 156mg | Sodium: 1088mg | Potassium: 1371mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 939IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 4mg