Waldorf Chicken Salad
This Waldorf Chicken Salad is my take on the classic American Chicken Salad with Grapes and Apples. It is loaded with roasted chicken, fruits, greens, and nuts; comes together in less than half an hour; and is a great dish to take with you to parties and picnics.
Servings 4 servings
For the Chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts pat-dried with paper towel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix
For the Dressing:
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix
For The Salad:
- 1 apple cut into small cubes (I kept the skin on)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 cups salad greens washed and spin dried
- 1 cup seedless red grapes halved
- 1 cup 2-3 medium size celery stalks, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup walnuts lightly roasted
- ½ cup pomegranate arils optional
For the chicken: Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle it with the Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until chicken registers 165 degrees when a thermometer is inserted in the middle. Take it out of the oven and set aside to cool. Once cooled, cut into small cubes.
To make the dressing: Whisk together mayo, yogurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
For the salad: Mix apple and lemon juice in a small bowl.
Place salad greens in a large salad bowl. Add in apples (with lemon juice), grapes, celery, walnuts, and pomegranate arils (if using). Drizzle it with half of the dressing. Using thongs, give it a gentle toss.
Add in the chicken and drizzle it with the rest of the dressing. Give it a toss. Taste for seasoning and add in if necessary.
- As you can see in the pictures, I used fresh seedless grapes, but if you can’t get your hands on them, you can use raisins as a substitute.
- As long as it is kept covered in the fridge, this salad is good on the next day. I usually put it in between two slices of toast and make it a Waldorf Chicken Salad Sandwich.
- As you can see in the recipe below, my version of the dressing is a combination of mayonnaise and yogurt. I wanted to cut down on the calories by mixing mayo with yogurt, but feel free to play around with it. If you want, you can make the dressing with only mayo or only yogurt.
- The nutrition values below are approximate values and should not be used as medical advise.
Calories: 623kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 337mg | Potassium: 881mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 568IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 2mg