Chicken Caprese Sandwich Recipe
Chicken Caprese Sandwich is layered with chicken, tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella. Serve it open-faced or as a sandwich with leftover or grilled chicken for an easy and quick sandwich that you can make for your family.
Servings 4 sandwiches
For The Caprese Salad:
- 6-8 medium-sized tomatoes preferably Campari tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For The Sandwich:
- 4 slices of bread or ciabatta loaves
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise or regular mayo optional
- 4 cooked chicken breasts sliced into strips *or you can grill the chicken (recipe below)
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves torn
- 6 oz. fresh mozzarella 2-3 slices of cheese per each slice of bread
If you are grilling the chicken:
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts 14 - 15 oz. each
- 8 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
To Make It In The Oven:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Slice tomatoes in ½ inch thick slices. Lay them out on a large plate.
Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
Lay the slices of bread on a baking sheet. Spread each slice with one tablespoon of mayo.
Top it off with slices of tomatoes, a few leaves of fresh basil, sliced chicken, and 3-4 slices of fresh mozzarella.
Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
To Make It On The Grill
Light a grill set to high or prepare a grill pan on the stove and heat to medium-high heat.
Drizzle chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Add the chicken to the grill or grill pan. Cook 5-6 minutes on each side or until it registers 165 degrees F when a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast.
Transfer the chicken on to a plate, cover with aluminum foil, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Slice in 1-inch thick slices. Set aside.
Meanwhile, toast the bread on the grill (if preferred).
Slice tomatoes in ½ inch thick slices. Lay them out on a large plate. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
Spread each slice of bread with one tablespoon of mayo.
Top it off with slices of tomatoes, sliced chicken, a few leaves of fresh basil, and 3-4 slices of fresh mozzarella.
If preferred, put it back on the grill and grill until the cheese is melted, 3-4 minutes.
Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
What I love the most about this sandwich recipe is that it can be made in several different ways. Here are a few ideas:
- Swap mayo with pesto: I was inspired by Carrabba’s caprese sandwich with chicken and substituted the mayo for the same amount of pesto. It really highlights the basil flavor.
- Mix pesto & mayo: Two of my favorite condiments in one. Simply combine 2 Tablespoons each pesto and mayo, then spread as directed
- Use ciabatta instead of whole wheat: The Starbucks chicken caprese is made with ciabatta bread, so I like to change up the bread whenever I get a chance. You will need one large loaf (cut in half, then sliced down the middle lengthwise) or 2 rolls (sliced in half lengthwise) to make 4 open-faced sandwiches.Alternatively, if you are using ciabatta bread, you can press it in a panini press and turn it into a warm caprese chicken panini.
- Use sourdough bread: Use 4 thick slices (about ½-1 inch) sourdough bread to make the sandwiches
- With Rosemary Focaccia: The subtle hint of rosemary drives home that herby flavor. You will only need half of a whole focaccia loaf. Simply cut the whole loaf into quarters, then cut two squares in half lengthwise to get 4 pieces. Reserve the remaining bread for your favorite sandwich recipes.
- Make it with buffalo mozzarella: Buffalo mozzarella is made from buffalo milk rather than cow’s milk. If you are feeling extra fancy, buffalo mozzarella provides another layer of flavor and creamier texture. Look for it in specialty Italian markets.
Calories: 997kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 104g | Fat: 54g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 296mg | Sodium: 2188mg | Potassium: 982mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 765IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 304mg | Iron: 4mg