Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa Recipe
Pressure Cooker Mexican Quinoa flavored with cumin, coriander, and flavored with beans. This quick and easy one-pot meal is made in the Instant Pot. It is a vegan, gluten-free, and plant-protein packed dinner recipe you can serve on a Tuesday night. Top with avocados, salsa, or pickled vegetables for a delicious bowl of Mexican flavors.
Servings 4 servings
For The Mexican Quinoa:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped
- 2 small bell peppers chopped (or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and minced
- 1 cup of white quinoa rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn rinsed (1 to 1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen corn would also work)
- 1 can 15 oz. diced tomatoes, with all their juices
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped – plus more as a garnish
As Garnish (pick & choose):
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Pickled vegetables optional
- A handful of pumpkin seeds optional
Press sauté and add the oil to the Instant Pot.
Once the oil is hot but not smoking, add the onion, peppers, ground cumin, and ground coriander. Cook, stirring constantly, until onions are translucent, 3-4 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add in the quinoa, black beans, corn kernels, tomatoes, and salt and pepper. Give it a stir.
Pour in the liquid, secure the lid, move the steam release valve to the sealing position.
Select Manual/Pressure Cook to cook on high for 1 minute.
When the cooking cycle is complete, let the pressure naturally release for 8-10 minutes, then move the steam release valve to the venting position to release any remaining pressure. When the floating valve drops, remove the lid.
Give it a gentle stir.
To serve: Place the desired amount in a bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro, avocado, and pickled onions or radishes. Serve with wedges of lime.
Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 535mg | Potassium: 579mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 704IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 3mg