My Philosophy on Food and Nutrition
I started Foolproof Living after my mother’s sudden passing from a heart attack due to complications of diabetes in 2013. In the beginning, it was about sharing my mother’s recipes but in time it became an extension of who I am.
Today, Foolproof Living is a food blog where you can find seasonal recipes that are made with wholesome and everyday ingredients with the healthy eater in mind.
My philosophy when it comes to food and nutrition can be summarized as follows:
- Eat Real Food: Start your shopping at the vegetable counter and build your meals around vegetables. If and when it is available, go to the local farmer’s markets and buy what is in the season to be in line with the offerings of nature.
- Food Is Medicine: Make it a priority to build your weekly menu around a diet that is high in fruits, vegetables, fiber, legumes, and healthy proteins. When shopping read labels and keep in mind that food is medicine.
- Cook at Home: Make it a habit to cook at home. There are over a million food blogs for every diet out there. The majority of them have an extensive library of free recipes. Find one (or more) that works for you and make it a daily part of your life to cook for your family.
- Everything in Moderation: None of this is to say that you will never eat chocolate and ice cream or socialize with friends in a restaurant. Everything in life, including our eating habits, is all about moderation.
- Listen to Your Body: No one knows your body better than you do. If you are craving something let it be. Enjoy a bowl of ice cream if you want to. As long as it is in moderation give yourself permission to take it day by day.
- Sleep, Exercise, and Stress Management are just as important: While food is a crucial part of our daily lives, taking time to exercise regularly, making sure to get enough sleep every night, and managing stress are just as important. Whether it is a 30-minute walk outside, 10-minute meditation, or a quick power nap in the afternoon, schedule time for self-care and love.
Meet Alisa Morley, MS, RD
To help me continue in this healthy, wholesome, and clean eating journey I recently partnered up with a registered dietitian. Meet Alisa Morley, MS, RD.
She will help me provide you with accurate and data-based information by reviewing my recipes and blog posts. She will also guide me to find reputable resources to provide you with the latest scientific research on my wellness and nutrition focus recipes and articles.
You will find her stamp of approval at the top of every recipe she reviews.
Needless to say, I am incredibly excited to learn from Alisa and share her knowledge with you.
Below is a short bio Alisa:
Alisa Morley, MS, RD is a Registered Dietitian with a Master’s Degree in Clinical Nutrition from the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. Alisa has been providing nutritional counseling for over 15 years and is currently utilizing her experience and passion for wellness to work as a consultant for a wide variety of companies and clients.