Last night was the first time we felt like it was time to turn the AC on. Spring is fully here, and I know Atlanta is going to prove to us that there is a reason why people call it “Hotlanta.” It is coming. I feel it.
It is a nice change for me because I looked at the weather app on my phone and saw that it is supposed to snow in Manchester, VT today, where we used to live. I know it will get super hot here very soon, but I can’t say I will ever be missing the snowy weather in Manchester.
Also, can you tell that I am loving my new houseplants?
If you read last month’s life-lately post, you might remember me talking about our backyard project. We now have 3 raised garden beds. My dad and I spent a few hours setting them up together.
So far, we planted fresh herbs, microgreens, and six different types of heirloom tomatoes. They are still babies, but they are growing every day and bringing me so much joy.
I am currently obsessed with microgreens and have been testing various types/brands of microgreens. I am still in the learning stages but plan on sharing my experience with you next year. So stay tuned.
You Are Invited – May 2021 Live Cooking Class:
In April’s live cooking Zoom class, we made my creamy Pasta with Mushroom and Peas. We also had Pineapple Margaritas to enjoy throughout the class. As usual, it was so much fun. We drank, cooked, and laughed together.
This month, we are switching things up a bit. I am partnering up with my friend, Ari of Well Seasoned Studio, to cook together.
We will start the class with a cocktail, Kir Royale. Then Ari will show us how to make her Mozzarella Caprese Gazpacho. I will finish off the class with my meal-worthy Butter Lettuce Salad recipe.
I am so excited about introducing you to my ultra-talented friend Ari and cooking together with her live. As always, it is going to a virtual live Zoom class. It will be held on May 20th at 5:30 pm EST.
We would love to have you join us. Feel free to book your spot and even invite a friend (or two) for free.
What is Working:
Finally fully vaccinated: I got my second shot two weeks ago. The next day was no joke, I felt so tired and sick. But I was much better after the first 48 hours. I feel grateful that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Have you gotten your second shot yet? How did you feel?
Cooking from new cookbooks: I don’t know about you, but I find so much joy in cooking from cookbooks. They offer so much inspiration to me, especially when I feel stuck. Below are the ones I am loving so much right now (affiliate links):
- Help Yourself – Best soup recipes!
- The Complete Salad Cookbook – I just got this cookbook and I cannot stop reading it.
- Occasionally Eggs – Alexandra’s photography and recipes are incredibly inspiring. I just made her Banana Bread and posted a quick video of how I made it on my Instagram account.
- Canelle et Vanille – Aran’s Chocolate, Olive Oil, and Citrus Cake is out-of-this-world
What is Not Working:
- Staying focused: There is so much to do and so little time to do it, but I am constantly battling to find a balance between the connected world we live in and the quiet I need to live a meaningful life. I know it is best to take one step at a time, but some days are better than others. Please tell me I am not alone feeling this way.
- Playing the numbers game: In the world we live in, it is hard not to attach the value of your work (and yourself) to numbers. The money you make, the followers you have, the page views your blog receives every day… It is hard not to compare yourself to others around you and not feel less of yourself and what you produce. I am finding comfort in daily positive affirmations, but man, it is hard sometimes.
- Covid Struggles: I am trying my best to keep a positive attitude about it but watching India and my home country Turkey still struggle with Covid the way they are struggling breaks my heart. I was planning to go to Turkey this summer for my cousin’s (outdoor) wedding, but I am not sure if that is such a good idea right now.
Apparently, I am also not very good at protecting myself from the sun while I am working in the backyard.
Books & Shows
- Got hooked on Abraham Hicks: Having gone through some setbacks in my business, I felt a downward spiral of negativity and fear-based emotions. As I was looking for spiritual guidance and answers, I was introduced to Abraham Hicks and the book Law of Attraction. I read it in 2 days and have found so much comfort and healing in it.
- The Beauty & The Baker on Netflix: If you need an uplifting show that will quickly get your mind off of real life, watch this show. Apparently, it was first aired on ABC but became a hit after it was released on Netflix. It is a show about a Cuban family living in Miami. So far, they only have one season, but its cast is trying to get its audience to help them convince Netflix to sign them up for a second season. If you are like me, would love to see more adventures of the Garcia family, you can sign the petition here.
Until next month, stay safe friends.