This year, Father’s Day is a little more special than any other year. It is a day for me to celebrate more than ever. Not only because my father is a wonderful person, he is the only parent I have left.
With my mom’s passing, my dad and I grew closer than ever. Although being so far away from each other does not help, we take advantage of every piece of technology to keep us close to each other. Lately, the best part of my day is a half an hour Skype chat with my father.
Growing up as an only child, my parents talked to me as I am a grown up. I always felt like my opinion did count. As a grown woman, I think this tremendously shaped who I am today.
I was very lucky because I had parents who were role models. Unfortunately, I did not appreciate it enough while growing up. I was one of those teenagers who felt like she knew everything.
When I think back, I remember my father sitting with me and talking to me about important things and “how to’s” of life… It was not until much later in life that they made sense to me. Today, I know that he was right in everything that he told me.
I thought, on a special day like this, I could share them with you…
Keep on reading, you may have heard some of these from your father as well…
15 Valuable Lessons I learned from My Father:
- Be honest. People will be more forgiving and understanding if you are honest.
- Learn from your mistakes and move on. There is no need to dwell on your mistakes.
- Keep your promises. Do not promise, if you can’t deliver.
- Never underestimate yourself. You are an educated and smart woman with valuable qualities. Do not ever let anybody make you feel like you are any less than that.
- Life is all about taking risks. The more risks you take the more you will succeed. However, remember, the more risks you take the higher your blood pressure will be. You should always think about how much pressure you could handle before you take a risk.
- The way you look and you carry yourself says so much about who you are. Always look professional and dress appropriately for the place you are in.
- Try and do everything your heart desires in life, but do not spend too much time doing one thing, because if you do, you will miss out on all the others.
- When you make a mistake apologize. It is important to acknowledge your mistakes. It shows that you value others.
- Always keep yourself informed with what is happening in the world. Read, watch and learn as much as you can. Knowledge, especially about current happenings, is power. Now, more than ever…
- Give feedback in a timely manner. If you procrastinate, other people’s faults will be yours. They will not know how you feel if you don’t tell them in a timely manner.
- Money is important. Save your money and always ask yourself before buying something; is this a want or a need?
- Brush and floss your teeth. You will need them for a long time.
- Do not cheat and lie. If you do, you will loose your credibility and reestablishing that might be harder than you think.
- Think long and hard when selecting a spouse. This is one of the most important decisions of your life.
- Keep your emotions under control and your facts in check. The better you manage your emotions, the more you will succeed.