Recipe for Mango and Quinoa Cereal – A 15-minute vegan breakfast cereal made with sweet Caribbean mangos, avocado, and cucumbers.
It is the mango season in the Caribbean. Mangoes and coconuts are two of the rare things that are grown on our little island.
Let me tell you something; I never knew how sweet mangoes could be until I had these ones. With their brightly colored, oddly shaped self, they are the representatives of the tropical climate around this time of the year.
When our friend Alison, who grows them in her backyard, shared some of her mangoes with us I started thinking about a way to use them in a breakfast dish. They are full of fiber and vitamin A and C, which make it a perfect ingredient for a healthy breakfast.
That is how I came up with this Mango and Red Quinoa Cereal Recipe. A guilt free eating breakfast dish…
Red quinoa, when cooked, resembles red lentils and it turns into a brownish color. It is chewier, nuttier and crunchier than white (or no color) quinoa. It also holds its shape better than the regular quinoa.
All these qualities made red quinoa a perfect ingredient for my breakfast cereal recipe.
Imagine; the fragrant sweetness and rich flavors of the Caribbean mangoes marry the nutty and crunchy red quinoa enhanced by the flavors of chopped fresh mint, juicy cucumbers, ripe avocados and freshly squeezed lime juice.
I call this “A marriage made in heaven”.
Not to mention how healthy they all are… You do not believe me??
Let me list it for you:
Mango: Full of vitamin A and C, phytochemicals and fiber
Quinoa: An Incan grain. It is a great source of protein
Avocado: A super healthy fat full of fiber
Fresh Mint: An herb full of vitamins and minerals like magnesium, copper, iron, potassium and calcium.
Cucumber: Full of phytonutrients that have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer benefits. A great source of Vitamin K.
Lime Juice: A superstar fruit with its anti aging qualities and vitamin C.
You see, just have this Mango and Red Quinoa Cereal for breakfast, you are good to go for the rest of the day.
I usually make a big bowl of it and eat it in the next 2 or 3 days. Even my husband, Dwight loves it. And let me tell you, he does not care about eating healthy as much as I do. He says he loves it because it tastes great.
When he says that I know I hit a home run!
Mango and Red Quinoa Cereal
- 3 big or 6 small ripe mangoes
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup uncooked red quinoa
- 1/2 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1 cucumber peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons of lime juice freshly squeezed
- 2 cups of water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + pinch of salt for cooking quinoa
- Place the quinoa in a fine-mash strainer and rinse under running water until the water turns clear. This should take around 3 minutes.
- Place water, red quinoa and a pinch of salt in a pot. Bring it to a boil, lower the heat, put the lid on and cook until all the water is absorbed, 12-15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and place a paper towel between the pot and the lid. Let it cool.
- Place cooled quinoa in a big bowl and mix it with all the other ingredients.
- Season to taste.
Did you make this recipe?Tag @foolproofliving on Instagram and hashtag it #foolproofeats