Chickpeas and I go way back.
It is pretty much guaranteed that I will like a dish if it has chickpeas in it. If I am trying to find recipes online I first (almost always) type “chickpeas” in Google.
Who does that?
That is exactly why when I saw this recipe in Gywenth’s new book, “It is All Good” I decided to make it right away. Dwight was about to come home for lunch and I had no food prepared.
I go through this episode everyday. He comes home around noon and he has 20 minutes. By 10 am I am stressed about what to make lunch. I have this motherly instinct to feed him with something healthy when all he wants is barbecue sauce chicken with potatoes.
Luckily with the help of “Runner’s World” magazine that he reads religiously, he now eats the healthy food that I try to make everyday.
This recipe literally came to my rescue today. The original recipe is a salad. I made it into a sandwich using wheat pita bread and served it with a glass of homemade ice-mango tea to my hubby. He loved it.
I ate it in its salad self.
Not only super quick but super healthy as well.
Okay so you try this recipe I am going to go back to google to see if I can find another cool recipe with chickpeas!
Tuna and Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 2 (5 oz) cans of tuna in water, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, rinsed
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian (or curly) parsley
- handful of salad greens
- 4 whole wheat pita bread, cut in half
- For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Juice of a lemon
- Zest of a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Place tuna, chickpeas, scallions, red onion, and parsley in a bowl. Give it a toss and set aside.
- Make the dressing by whisking together olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and lemon zest in a bowl. Add in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Drizzle the tuna and chickpea mixture with the dressing. Add in a handful of salad greens and give it a gentle toss. Taste for seasoning and add in if necessary.
- To assemble: Open the pocket of each pita bread and place 2-3 tablespoons of the salad. Repeat with remaining pita halves. Serve immediately.