A stupid easy to make Crockpot Chicken Tomatillo Soup recipe that will take you no more than 15 minutes to prep. If you are looking for a way to up your chicken soup game, this 6-ingredient slow cooker recipe is the way to go.
This post is sponsored by ABRAMS books, as a part of the ABRAMS Dinner Party, but as always all opinions are my own.
This past week has been a whirlwind of emotions. If you have been following me for awhile, you know that my husband and I used to live on a small island in the British Virgin Islands. As it goes with moving, we left so many of our friends behind. It has been two years since we have been back in the US. After last week’s Hurricane Irma, many of our friends lost their homes, cars, personal belongings, etc. Our beloved Virgin Gorda, at least as we remember it, ceases to exist. The survivors’ lives are forever changed. I am still in disbelief and find it so hard to wrap my head around the fact that everything you cherish can be taken from you in one fell swoop. As beautiful as nature can be, it is sometimes so brutal.
Coincidently, our friends Chrissann and David are visiting us from the British Virgin Islands. Luckily, when Irma struck, they were already vacationing in the States and had pre-planned a trip to Vermont to spend time with us. They, like many other people we know, lost everything after the hurricane and have no place to return to. In times like these, it is hard to find something to be happy about, but the fact that our good friends are with us and out of harm’s way makes me feel grateful. In a selfish way, I am happy that I have more people to cook for and share my food with. So today’s recipe, this crockpot chicken tomatillo soup, is one of the dishes we have been enjoying together.
About This Crockpot Chicken Tomatillo Soup Recipe:
There are so many reasons why I love this recipe, but the first one is because of its convenience. You literally put all of the ingredients in the bowl of your slow cooker, set it to low heat setting, and let it cook for 8 hours to end up with a heartwarming and flavorful bowl of soup. No need for searing the chicken or chopping up a ton of vegetables.
I also love that it is perfect to feed a crowd. If you are entertaining (or have a large family), this dish would easily feed 6 people. If you are a small family (of 2) like us, then you can freeze the leftovers to enjoy another time.
A Word on Tomatillos:
I am embarrassed to say this, but though I love tomatillos I never know what to do with them. Hence this is the first tomatillo recipe on this blog. If you are like me, feel like you can use them more often, this is a great recipe to start. They are so easy to use in that you do not have to worry about peeling or coring them or even them being ripe.
The Slow Cook Modern Cookbook:
The recipe for this Crockpot Chicken Tomatillo Soup comes from a new cookbook called Slow Cook Modern: 200 Recipes for the Way We Eat Today by Liana Krissoff. Its publisher, Abrams, sent me a copy of it to review. I have to say, as someone who has a ton of cookbooks, I am very picky when recommending cookbooks to my readers, but this one is a winner. Especially if you are a fan of the ease and convenience of slow cookers. With 200 recipes, you could easily find a recipe to make for anyone in your family. Whether you are vegan, have been wanting to test the waters with cooking goat or simply up your crockpot game, this book will help you create incredibly flavorful yet easy to make dishes for your family.
Crockpot Chicken Tomatillo Soup
A stupid easy to make crockpot chicken tomatillo soup recipe that will take you no more than 15 minutes to prep. If you are looking for a way to up your chicken soup game, this 6-ingredient slow cooker recipe is the way to go.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooking
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 pounds (910gr) boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) tomatillos (about 8 large), husked, rinsed and cut in quarters
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped*
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups (720 ml) storebought or homemade chicken stock
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of a lime, and more as garnish
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed as garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- To prep the chicken: Throughly dry the chicken thighs using paper towels. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Let them sit on the counter as you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the tomatillos, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and chicken stock in the bowl of your crockpot.
- Transfer the chicken into the bowl.
- Set it to low heat setting to cook for 8 hours.
- When cooked, using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a bowl. Shred it in leaving it in large chunks and set aside.
- Add in the cilantro into the slow cooker. Using an immersion blender, puree the tomatillo mixture until smooth.
- Return shredded chicken into the bowl.
- Stir in the lime juice. Taste for seasoning and add in if necessary.
- Garnish with slices of jalapeno pepper and avocado.
- We love spicy food so I left the seeds of one of the jalapenos intact and added it into the soup. However, if you are not a fan of hot spicy foods, feel free to leave the seeds out.
- If you have leftovers, you can freeze this soup in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 321
- Sugar: 6.8g
- Sodium: 718mg
- Fat: 13.8g
- Carbohydrates: 14.9g
- Protein: 34.7g
- Cholesterol: 145.7mg
This recipe is adapted from Slow Cook Modern: 200 Recipes for the Way We Eat Today with minor changes.