Get your slow cookers out friends! We are making these Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Drumsticks.
Here is a no-fuss and easy to make recipe with less than 10 ingredients. If you are a lover of the sweet and tangy flavors of honey and mustard combination, this recipe is for you.
Editor’s Note: This post is sponsored by UNCLE BEN’S®. The compensation received in exchange for placement on Foolproof Living is used to purchase ingredients and props, write blog posts, take and edit photos and maintain this website in general. However, though compensation was received in exchange for coverage, the thoughts and opinions mentioned in this post are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that support Foolproof Living!
The move is in full force. My husband has already made it to Vermont and started working. I, on the other hand, have been packing every single day for the last 8 days. One of the two bedrooms in our house is filled with boxes all the way to the ceiling. There is absolutely no way to even walk inside the room. I am doing my best to take it all easy, but moving to Vermont in the middle of winter is giving me a little bit of an anxiety. Luckily, for the first few weeks we will stay at the hotel, which will not only allow us to get some rest, but also have enough time to find a new home for ourselves. I am excited and exhausted all at the same time, but I keep reminding myself that it is all a part of the journey.
Even though most of the kitchen stuff has been packed, I kept my slow cooker out, because (1) I still have a few days to leave and (2) I still need to eat. Plus, I am just not ready to start eating restaurant food every single day until we have our new place. And who knows when will that happen. So I made this slow cooker honey-mustard drumstick recipe and served this on a bed of UNCLE BEN’S® Flavored Grains Long Grain & Wild Rice, Original Recipe. What I love about this recipe is that even though it requires just a few ingredients, the end result has bold flavors that are truly satisfying, especially if you are like me, a lover of honey and mustard combination.
About This Slow Cooker Honey-Mustard Drumsticks Recipe:
This recipe has two components. For the first part, you rub the drumsticks with a spice-sugar mixture and place them in the slow cooker. Then you mix together the honey and mustard, pour a portion of it over the chicken and cook it in your crock pot in low-heat setting for 4-5 hours. The timing depends on your slow cooker, but my chicken was cooked and tender around the 4 ½ – hour mark.
For the second part, you place the drumsticks on a baking sheet lined with a wire rack, brush them with the rest of the honey-mustard sauce, and bake them (on both sides) in the oven until their skin is lightly charred and crisp. The second part of the recipe is where the goodness happens so I recommend not skipping this step. Here, you might think that you are left with way too much honey-mustard mixture, but that amount is just right. You need to smother those bad boys with all the goodness. Also, keep in mind that the time spent in the oven makes the sugars caramelize and makes the skin crisp, which according to my husband, is the best part.
A Few Tips to Help You With This Recipe:
Unlike most people I know, I am not a big fan of the skin of the chicken. Normally, you wouldn’t see me share a recipe with the skin on. However for this recipe, you do want the skin on as you need it for the sauce the stick and char so that the meat inside would still be soft and juicy. So if you are like me, make an exception for this recipe, because the skin is where the magic happens.
Before you place the chicken on the baking sheet, make sure to cover it with aluminum foil. It will make the cleaning part much easier later on.
Be sure to spray the wire rack with vegetable spray, as it will prevent the chicken from sticking to the rack.
How to Serve Honey-Mustard Drumsticks:
For this recipe, I served my chicken on a bed of Uncle Ben’s® flavored long grain and wild rice. I love their flavored rice because (1) it is ready and quick to prepare and (2) the flavors are truly delicious. You can make the rice before you place the drumsticks in the oven and will have it ready by the time your chicken is cooked. In addition, even though I choose the long grain and wild rice original recipe, they have a full line of flavored grains to choose from, all of which are a great side dish to serve along with any of your protein dishes. Lastly, they are running an in-store promotion between 02/12/17 and 02/28/17: If you purchase two Uncle Ben’s® Flavored Grain products, you can get $1 off at the register. To get this deal, visit your local Kroger store, or any other Kroger family stores.
If I had all my kitchen equipment out, I would also make a quick and simple green salad to serve with this dish, but I guess that will happen next time. Hopefully, sometime in late February or early March. Until then, make these bad boys, take a picture and make sure to share it with me.
Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Drumsticks
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours 30 minutes
- Total Time: 5 hours 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Vegetable oil spray
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 pounds bone-on, skin-on chicken drumsticks, pat-tried using paper towels
- ¾ cup Dijon mustard
- ½ cup honey
- Coat the inside of you slow cooker bowl generously with vegetable oil spray. Set it aside.
- Mix together the sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, dry mustard, salt and pepper.
- Using your clean hands, rub the mixture all over the chicken. Transfer the chicken into the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Whisk together the Dijon mustard and honey in a bowl.
- Pour ½ cup of the mixture over the chicken and make sure that the drumsticks are thoroughly coated with it. Reserve the rest.
- Cook the chicken in low heat setting of your slow cooker until it is tender, 4-5 hours.
- 10 minutes before your chicken is fully cooked, pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack over it. Lightly spray the wire rack with vegetable spray.
- Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the drumsticks with the half of the reserved honey-mustard mixture. Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the skin is lightly charred and crisp.
- Flip the chicken, brush the drumsticks with the rest of the honey-mustard mixture and place it back in the oven. Continue to bake until the skin is lightly charred and crisp.
- Serve over Uncle Ben’s flavored long grain wild rice.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe in Slow Cooker Revolution cookbook with minor changes.