This slow cooker butter chicken is a put-everything-and-forget-about-it kind of crock pot dish for busy people, who love to eat good food.
Soft and buttery chicken breasts cooked in slow cooker for 6 hours for perfection. Serve it by itself, or do what I did, and serve it with naan bread and white rice.
Beginning of every month, I spend a whole day on building myself an editorial calendar for the upcoming 4 weeks. The details include what recipes to test, what recipes to photograph and share, and what recipes to promote in the upcoming 30 days. It is a tedious process, but throughout the years of blogging, I found that it keeps me sane and productive. For the most part, I do my best to stick to it. Yes, things happen; I can’t find an ingredient, recipes don’t work (or photograph well), etc. However, at least it gives me a road map to keep going.
The plan for November was to share recipes that would inspire you for all your holiday cooking needs.. Thanksgiving salads, side dishes, easy baked goods to serve in the morning, etc. However, the other night I decided to try my hand on making this slow-cooker butter chicken for dinner and it was an OH-MY!!! moment, where I felt like this recipe had to be on the blog and it had to be on there NOW..
I did something that I had never done before. Instead of spending hours on creating multiple compositions, styling, and photographing the dish like I always do, I shot these photos literally just before serving them for us on the table that we eat. And the best part is that it took me less than 20 minutes. If you consider the fact that each of my photoshoots take somewhere between 2-4 hours, I think this was an accomplishment on my part.
While it makes me cringe to think that I have only a few photos to share, this recipe is so solid that I don’t care. I know you will agree if you decide to give it a go, especially if you like Indian flavors.
About The Recipe:
The best part of this slow cooker butter chicken is that you literally put all the ingredients in your crockpot and forget about it for the next 6-7 hours. I usually prep everything before I go to bed and wake up to the most amazing smell in the world. I just love the fact that I don’t have to worry about what to make for dinner.
A few notes:
– In the recipe below I used chicken breast. However, if you like dark meat, you can also use chicken thighs. I learned this from the comments section in The New York Times’ recipe for slow cooker butter chicken. Most people suggested that bone-in chicken thighs produced a more flavorful end product. I did give it a try and I think they were both good. Honestly, I think it is a personal preference and whatever you have on hand.
– I usually cook all my meat dishes in low-heat setting as I think it produces a more soft and tender end product, but if you are short on time you can also cook this dish in high-heat setting for 3-4 hours.
– At the end of 6-7 hours of cooking, you will realize that the dish is pretty liquid-y. You can serve it just like that on a bed of white rice (or like soup) or you can do what I did and thicken it with a little bit of cornstarch. Again, it is a preference and you wouldn’t go wrong either way.
Need a new slow cooker?
In the past, several people asked me about my favorite slow cooker so I thought I quickly share my favorite one with you and tell you why.
I use Crock-Pot 6.5-Quart, Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker (affiliate link) and I am very pleased with it. First of all, it is easy to clean, reliable, and fairly affordable.
Secondly, I love that you can easily program it. For example, if I were to set it up at night for 6 hours of cooking, but wake up 8 hours later, I can set it to “warm” setting for it to keep my food warm in the last 2 hours. That way if I wanted to serve it right away, I do not have to reheat it.
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
This slow cooker butter chicken is an put-everything-and-forget-about-it kind of crock pot dish for busy people, who love to eat good food. Soft and buttery chicken breasts cooked in slow cooker for 6 hours for perfection. Serve it by itself, or do what I did, and serve it with naan bread and white rice.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dishs
- Method: Slow Cooking
- Cuisine: Indian
- For the Slow Cooker Butter Chicken:
1 can (14-ounce) full-fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons garam marsala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 pounds skinless and boneless chicken breast, pat dried and cut into 1-inch small cubes
To Finish it Off:
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
To Serve (Optional)
- Naan bread
- Cooked White rice
- Place coconut milk, Greek yogurt, tomato paste, red curry paste, onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, ginger, garam marsala, paprika, turmeric, butter, salt and pepper into your slow cooker. Give it a mix.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat.
- Cook in low-heat setting for 6-7 hours* or in high setting for 3-4 hours. If you can, feel free to stir it a few times during the cooking. However, it is okay if you can’t.
- After it is cooked, if you prefer the dish to be thicker, you can thicken the sauce by mixing the corn starch in a bowl with 1/4 cup of the liquid from the butter chicken until it dissolves. Then pour it into the slow cooker. Give it a stir and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Right before serving, stir in the lime juice.
- Serve with naan bread and white rice and garnish with cilantro and almonds.
- The nutrition values below do not include the calories coming from the bread and rice.
- Mine was cooked at the end of 6 hours.
- If you are short on time you can cook this in high-heat setting for 3-4 hours.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 946
- Sugar: 8.3g
- Sodium: 1322mg
- Fat: 61.8g
- Carbohydrates: 18.7g
- Protein: 79.6g
- Cholesterol: 240.4mg