Why do we gain weight?
So what if I enjoyed a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream on my husband’s famous apple pie?
So what if I like to eat cake after every meal with a cup of coffee?
I know. I know. It is all about a balance…
I wish that we could eat sweets and fatty things, and still be thin and healthy.
It so unfortunate that it does not work that way.
I have not been eating healthy lately. It is all my husband, Dwight’s fault because he was the one who made the apple pie. Yes, I made the ice cream, but he started it.
I was faced with the harsh reality on the scale this morning. I was wondering why my pants are tight’ER.
I got my answer.
I decided that today is the day that I will go back to my old self and start cooking healthy again. When I found kale in the supermarket, I considered it as a sign from above.
While I was looking for inspiration for a healthy recipe on the internet, I found out that John Mayer, whom I love, came out with a new album.
Another sign from above…
I downloaded the whole album and as I was listening to it, I decided to find the inspiration within myself.
I had zucchini, kale, onions, garlic, yellow pepper, scallions, vegenaise, and walnuts in the fridge.
I started with peeling the zucchinis like fettuccini noodles using a vegetable peeler. I placed them in to a colander, added some salt and put them aside for 10 minutes to drain. In the mean time, I washed a bunch of kale and steamed them for 5 minutes. In a pan, I cooked the onions and when they got fragrant and soft, I added some garlic and a chopped yellow pepper. I washed and drained the zucchini and added it to the pan. I let it cook for 6-7 minutes. I placed the zucchini in a mixing bowl. As zucchini was cooking, I chopped the kale into small pieces and placed it in the same mixing bowl. I chopped some scallions and threw them in the bowl, for more flavor. Last but not least, I made a quick dressing using some vegenaise, black pepper and a little bit red wine vinegar. I drizzled the dressing over the zucchinis and kale. When I was ready to serve, I garnished it with a handful of walnuts and a tablespoon of hemp seeds.
I do not know you, but John Mayer’s music has that kind of effect on me.
The album is wonderful, so does this healthy and delicious recipe that I would like to name as “Zucchini Fettuccine with Kale”.Print
Zucchini Fettuccine with Kale
A summer vegan dish made with zucchini fettuccine noodles, yellow peppers, scallions, walnuts and kale. Filling and low in calorie.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
For the Zucchini Fettuccine:
- 4 medium size zucchini, washed and peeled like fettuccini noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch (4-5 leaves) kale, washed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 scallions, chopped (both white and green parts)
- Handfull of walnuts
- 2 tablespoon hemp seeds (optional)
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons vegenaise
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Place the zucchini ribbons into a colander, add salt and let it drain for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot put some water and, using a steam basket, steam the kale for 5 minutes. Take it out and let it cool. Once cooled, chop it into small pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add onions and cook until they are fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the yellow pepper and garlic. Stirring frequently, cook for 3-4 minutes or until slightly wilted.
- Add the zucchinis, mix and cook for 5-6 minutes. As they cook, they will soften and will start looking like noodles. Place them in a mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped kale, scallions, and walnuts in the mixing bowl.
- To make the dressing: Mix vegenaise and red wine vinegar in a small bowl. Season it with salt and freshly grounded black pepper.
- Drizzle the zucchini and kale mixture with the dressing. Give it a gentle mix.
- If using, when ready to serve sprinkle it with a tablespoon of hemp seeds.
- Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 507
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 1298.3mg
- Fat: 24.9g
- Carbohydrates: 57.2g
- Fiber: 9.5g
- Protein: 15.4g
- Cholesterol: 0g