I know it is convenient to buy salad dressing from the store, but once you learn to make your own, you will never want to spend money on dressings that are usually made with low-quality ingredients. Plus, most homemade dressings can also be used as a marinade for meat and vegetables, and this honey lime vinaigrette dressing is no exception.
The good news is that our recipe archives have so many dressings to choose from. For a simple yet satisfying option, try our Lemon Olive Oil Dressing, or indulge in the rich flavors of Balsamic Lemon Vinaigrette for a more elevated taste experience. And if you like spicy food, our Chili Lime Dressing is a must-try!
All you need is 5 simple ingredients for this honey lime dressing. And guess what? You probably already have everything in your pantry. Below is what you’ll need:
- Extra virgin olive oil: Olive oil is the base of this honey-lime vinaigrette. However, a neutral oil like avocado oil can also be used.
- Fresh lime juice and lime zest: Every dressing needs an acid! For the best lime vinaigrette recipe, be sure to use fresh lime. Keep in mind that it is best to zest the lime before squeezing it.
- Honey: Honey is the perfect way to balance the tartness of the lime. However, for a vegan version, you can use maple syrup instead.
- Kosher Salt: A pinch of salt will bring out these wonderful flavors.
How To Make Honey Lime Dressing?
You can make a jar of this simple honey lime dressing with only 5 minutes of hands-on time. Juice, zest, whisk, and pour. Here is how to make lime vinaigrette in just 4 simple steps:
- Combine: Lime zest, lime juice, honey, and salt in a small bowl and whisk together. If you decide to use garlic, shallot, or ground cumin, you can add it here.
- Emulsify until creamy: Slowly pour in the extra virgin olive oil and constantly whisk until emulsified.
- Season: Give it a taste and adjust it to your liking.
- Pour: Drizzle it over your favorite fresh salad or store it in a mason jar and refrigerate for later.
How To Make Ahead and Store?
The best part of this honey lime vinaigrette recipe is that it keeps well in the fridge, so you can make it ahead and refrigerate it until you are ready to use it.
To store, pour the lime honey dressing into a mason jar (or an airtight container) and keep it in the fridge for up to one week.
How To Use Lime Honey Dressing
Wake up your taste buds with the many ways to use this recipe. Try fruit salad with honey lime dressing or marinade chicken before grilling for some mouth-watering goodness. Here are a few ways to use it:
- Fruit Salads: This dressing is my favorite way to bring together a brunch side dish like summer fruit salad with strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, red grapes, kiwi, or other tropical fruit you like.
- Savory Salads: This honey lime salad dressing is the perfect compliment whether your salad is the main course or the side. Pour it over leafy greens like spring mix, butter lettuce, arugula, or kale for a natural sweetness with a kick of citrus. Mix with nuts, cheese, and beans for a sweet and savory combination. It’s my first choice when making Mexican-inspired salads and the ultimate last step for my Southwest Chicken Salad and Corn and Black Bean Salad.
- Grain Bowls: Another way to use this flavorful honey and lime juice recipe is for grain bowls. It perfectly soaks into couscous, bulgur, and quinoa mixed in with roasted veggies and proteins. You’ve got to try it on my Southwest Quinoa Bowl or even this Caribbean Jerk Chicken Bowl!
- Marinades: This recipe has more intent than just honey lime dressing for salad. I also use it for marinating chicken, pork, beef, and seafood. The acid from the lime tenderizes the meat, and the honey will caramelize it when cooked. This dressing is one of my go-to recipes when I make Grilled Mahi Mahi and Grilled Shrimp Skewers. I like playing with the ingredients by adding paprika for the Mahi Mahi Marinade and parsley for the Shrimp Marinade.
Other Salad Dressings You Might Like
It is no secret that a salad is as delicious as its dressing. If you agree, you will love our collection of salad dressing recipes below:
- Maple Mustard Dressing
- Yogurt Salad Dressing
- Healthy Poppy Seed Dressing
- Ginger Sesame Dressing
- Yogurt Tahini Sauce
If you try this Honey Lime Dressing recipe or any other recipe on Foolproof Living, please take a minute to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It is a great help to others who are thinking of making the recipe. And if you took some pictures, be sure to share them on Instagram using #foolproofeats so I can share them on my stories.
Honey Lime Dressing Recipe
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ¼ cup lime juice ~ 2 limes (freshly squeezed)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small shallot or ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Whisk together lime zest, lime juice, honey, and salt in a small bowl. If using, add in the garlic, shallot, and ground cumin.
- Slowly pour in the extra virgin olive oil while whisking constantly until emulsified.
- Taste for seasoning and add in, if necessary.
- Use it right away or store it in a mason jar in the refrigerator up to a week.
- Yield: This recipe yields approximately 1/2 cup of honey lime dressing.
- Storage: You can store the dressing in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Taste for seasoning: Be sure to give it a taste and add more if necessary before using it in your recipe.
- If you make it ahead, be sure to give it a good shake before using it.
- While it is convenient to combine all the ingredients in a mason jar and give it a shake, the secret to making an ultra-creamy honey lime dressing lies in the two-step process we are using here. Slowly pouring olive oil into the lime and honey mixture while constantly mixing it ensures perfect emulsification resulting in a smooth dressing. So, for the most creamy dressing, do not skip this part.