It is no secret that I am on a mission to convince you that you should never buy salad dressing from a store. Homemade salad dressings are just better (and cheaper.) And today’s recipe, Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing, is my newest addition to my collection of salad dressing recipes.
It pairs perfectly with my Strawberry Spinach Salad, but it can also be used in other fruity summer salad recipes like Blueberry Salad, Yogurt Chicken Salad with Grapes, Quinoa Kale Salad, and Apple Salad.
The classic poppy seed vinaigrette recipe is made with mayonnaise (or some recipes even use sour cream). To make it a tiny bit healthier and cut down on the calories, I swapped some of the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt. I also used maple syrup to make sure that it is refined sugar free.
The rest of the ingredients are pretty basic pantry staples. You can find them below with substitutions ideas:
- Mayonnaise: I am a big fan of Vegan Mayo (affiliate link), but any of your favorite mayonnaise brands would work
- Greek Yogurt: I used full-fat yogurt, but you can swap it with fat-free yogurt as well.
- Maple Syrup: Substitute with honey or agave nectar if you don’t have maple syrup
- White Wine Vinegar: Substitute with apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard: Grainy mustard would also work
- Poppy Seeds: It is an extra step by if you have a few additional minutes toast them on a skillet for 2-3 minutes.
- Kosher salt
How To Make Poppy Seed Dressing?
Making this creamy poppyseed salad dressing is so quick, easy and literally takes just a few minutes. All you need is a bowl and a whisk.
Simply place all ingredients in a bowl and give it a whisk until it is creamy and smooth.
How To Store:
The best way to store this homemade poppyseed dressing is to place it in a mason jar and tighten it with a lid. Then store it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Not a fan of mayo? Swap it with an equal amount of Greek yogurt (in addition to the one we are already using in the recipe) and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of lemon juice to compensate for it.
- Red Wine Vinegar Poppy Seed Dressing: Use red wine vinegar instead of white wine vinegar.
- Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing: For more of a zesty poppy seed dressing, swap vinegar with an equal amount of lemon juice and add in the zest of a lemon.
Other Salad Dressing Recipes You Might Like:
Skip the store-bought and bottled salad dressings and make them at home. Here are a few other clean salad dressing recipes to get you started:
- Lemon Salad Dressing
- Greek Yogurt Salad Dressing
- Avocado Salad Dressing
- Lemon Dijon Dressing
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Lemon Balsamic Vinegar Salad Dressing
- Sesame Ginger Dressing
- Chili Lime Salad Dressing
- Want more inspiration? Check out all our Healthy Salad Recipes
Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing Recipe
- ¼ cup mayonnaise I use Vegan Mayo
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until creamy and smooth.
- Taste for seasoning and add in if necessary.
- This recipe yields 1/2 cup poppyseed salad dressing. Feel free to multiply the recipe if you need more.
- Store leftovers in an airtight mason jar in the fridge up to 4 days.