It is the pineapple season here in the Caribbean. Everywhere you go somebody’s serving something made with freshly cut pineapple.
Some serve it just by itself, some as a dessert dipped in chocolate, and some puree it and incorporate it into drinks.
Though I love fresh pineapple in any shape or form, I love pina coladas especially when they are made with fresh pineapple during its peak season. And that is exactly what makes this pina colada recipe the Virgin Gorda style.
As I was contemplating on the best way to feature this drink here on the blog, I wanted to find a way to show you how gorgeous our pineapples are. Thankfully, my dear Grenadian friend Nesha agreed to model for me. As you can imagine, not only we drank a lot, but also we had a fantastic time.
If you ever come to Virgin Gorda around this time of the year, make sure to treat yourself to one of these delicious drinks. I promise you will be glad you did. It is that good.
Other Pineapple Based Drinks You Might Like:
Virgin Gorda Style Piña Colada
- 2 ounces white rum
- 1 ounce coconut cream Like Coco Lopez
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- 6 ounces Pineapple Juice freshly squeezed
- 4-5 ounces ice
- a wedge of pineapple as garnish
- cherry as garnish
- pinch of nutmeg freshly grated (optional)
- unsweetened shredded coconut for the rim of the glass
- Place white rum, coconut cream, heavy cream, pineapple juice, and ice in a blender. Blend until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Moisten the rim of a hurricane glass with the pineapple and then dip in the shredded coconut.
- Pour the pina colada into the glass. Garnish with a wedge of pineapple and cherry. If preferred, sprinkle it with freshly grated nutmeg.
- Serve immediately.
Traci | Vanilla And Bean
I just made your pina colada for an evening gathering in the beautiful Pacific Northwest Sunshine and we absolutely loved it! It’s been on my list for a while, now and I finally gave it a go. It was smooth, creamy and sooo tropical. Thank you for sharing your recipe, Aysegul! It’s a keeper for sure!
Oh how wonderful Traci. We love Pina Coladas around here. It is kind of a guilty pleasure. 🙂
Thank you so much for letting me know. Cheers from the sunny Caribbean islands..
I had such a fun time shooting with Ays and the Pina Coladas were delicious.
Thank you for helping me create amazing memories, my friend. 🙂
Lovely lady, lovely drink!! 🙂
1000% agreed. 😛