A Barefoot Contessa recipe that stood the test of time: Orzo and Roasted Shrimp salad. Easy and quick to make orzo salad with roasted shrimp. Perfect for picnics and/or outdoor gatherings.
The locals here say that if you do not like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change. That hasn’t been the case in the last 10 days or so. This month turned out to be a really rainy month for us on our little island. It has also been the coldest month since we moved here a little more than 2 years ago.
I really feel bad for the tourists visiting the island when we have crappy weather like this. Though you could still swim, the gray clouds filled with rain and the wind that accompanies it make it very difficult for them to enjoy the lazy hours they could otherwise spend sunbathing on the beach.
Thankfully, my friend Andrea, who is visiting us from Philadelphia, is here for a month. I am hoping for the super hot Caribbean weather to come back very soon so that she can truly experience what it is like to live on a tropical island.
A newly high school graduate, Andrea came to spend some time with me to experience and learn about blogging and food photography.
I have to admit- having her around has been a fresh breath of air for me. Since I started writing and photographing about food, I have never had anyone work with me as closely as we have been working in the last 2 weeks. I cannot tell you how good it feels to have someone around to give me a different perspective on things that I do on a daily basis.
As a part of our first recipe together we made this orzo dish with roasted shrimp. When I say we made this, I mean we cooked, photographed, and cleaned together. The whole nine yards…
This dish is somewhere between a salad and a main course for a light but filling lunch. The star ingredients, red onions, dill, and feta cheese are also the big flavors that turn the ordinary orzo and shrimp combination into something so refreshing and flavorful.
In the coming days of hot summer months, if you are looking for a quick lunch or a fun family picnic salad, this Orzo and Roasted Shrimp dish should be on your list.Print
Orzo and Roasted Shrimp
An easy and quick to make orzo salad with roasted shrimp. Perfect for picnics and/or outdoor gatherings.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Salad
- Method: Roasting and Cooking
- Cuisine: American
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the pasta & roasted shrimp:
- 1/2 lbs orzo
- 1 pound (21-25 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the salad
- 5 scallions, both green and white parts chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cucumber, unpeeled, seeded and diced into small cubes
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F degrees.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook orzo according to the package instructions. Drain and transfer it into a large bowl.
- While the orzo is cooking, place the shrimp onto a baking sheet, drizzle it with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle it with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Toss to combine. Place it in the oven and roast for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp into the orzo. Stir in the scallions, onion, dill, parsley, cucumber, and feta cheese.
- Pour the dressing over the mixture and give it a gentle toss.
- Allow all the flavors to marinate for an hour in the fridge before serving.
- Taste for seasoning and serve.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 544
- Sugar: 6.4g
- Sodium: 1581.5mg
- Fat: 23.7g
- Carbohydrates: 53.4g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 29.6g
- Cholesterol: 176.3mg
This recipe is adapted from Ina Garten’s cookbook Barefoot Contessa at Home.