I don’t know about you, but as far as I am concerned this Vegan Peach Avocado Salad recipe is the dictionary definition of summer salad.
Fresh yellow peaches, Persian cucumber, and avocados flavored with a simple dressing made with coriander, cumin, fresh herbs, and olive oil. With all the layers and layers of flavors, you will experience a little bit of sweet, sour, salty, hot, crunchy, and refreshing with every bite.
The first thing people tell you in Vermont is that winters are brutal, but the summers make up for those cold winter days. When I first heard this back when we first moved to Manchester in February (on a 16 F day), I found it hard to believe. However, 2 months into summer I cannot agree more. It is truly delightful to be in Vermont in summertime. What I love about it the most is that it is not too hot. There is always a nice breeze and it almost never gets warmer than 75 F degrees, something that I am so not used to after 4 years of living in the Caribbean.
I am also in awe of the abundance of fresh produce available around here. Everyday I get to go to a different farmer’s market, meet with farmers and get the freshest produce that was picked in that morning. Plus, since they know that I photograph recipes, they reserve the best looking produce for me, which I think is the coolest thing.
So last week, when I needed some fresh peaches to make this peach avocado salad, I texted my friend Wendy, the owner of Dutton Berry Farm, to ask if she had any peaches. I literally had to pinch myself when I got an immediate response with a photo of a whole branch full of peaches letting me know that it will be waiting for me at the farm. Seriously, how did I get so lucky?
About this Peach Avocado Recipe:
I think this is one of those salads that you would find in a fancy restaurant’s menu. Yes, fresh peaches, cucumbers, and avocados are the main characters in the salad, but what makes this salad “fancy restaurant quality” is the dressing. Spices like coriander and cumin mixed in with extra virgin olive oil, Serrano chile, lemon juice and fresh herbs bring the peaches and avocados alive. And once it is sprinkled with toasted pumpkin and sesame seeds, you get to experience a little bit of sweet, sour, salty, crunchy, refreshing and hot with every bite.
I do not know you, but I do not think that a salad can get better than that.
Other Peach Season Favorites You Might Like
Peach Avocado Salad
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 serrano chile seeds removed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 medium size yellow peaches sliced with the skin on
- 2 Persian cucumbers sliced thinly
- 1 ripe avocado cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds toasted
- Place pumpkin seeds in a non-stick skillet. Toast in medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 5-7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large salad bowl, mix together coriander, cumin, olive oil, Serrano chile, cilantro, parsley, lemon juice, and salt.
- Add in the peaches, cucumbers, and avocado. Gently toss to ensure that peaches, cucumbers and avocados are coated with the dressing and herbs.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin and sesame seeds.
- Give it a taste and season with more salt, if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is adapted (with changes to the original recipe) from Bon Appetit magazine‘s July 2017 edition.