A vibrant vegan and gluten-free black-eyed salad made with peaches, lime juice, roasted pecans, and jalapeño is a flavorful way to celebrate summer.
Welcome to the newly designed Foolproof Living. I have been toying around with the idea of giving a new look to this place for sometime now and after months (and months) of working on it, I am so excited to share it with you. I hope you will like it as much as I do. Please click around and let me know what you think. I would love to hear your feedback.
For the first recipe of the new look, I wanted a colorful summer dish that not only photographs well and represents the fresh ingredients of the season, but also tastes delicious. And I think This Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Peaches and Pecans ended up being the perfect recipe for the “grand opening”.
This scrumptious summer salad is flavored with lime zest, limejuice, fresh basil leaves, roasted pecans, and jalapeno peppers. It is surprisingly delicious. Not to mention super healthy.
For this salad, you can certainly use canned black-eyed peas. However, I highly recommend cooking them yourself. I agree that it takes longer, but it is totally worth your time. And it is quite easy. All you have to do is to first boil them in water, turn off the heat and let them cool for an hour. After an hour, rinse them, place them back in the saucepan, fill it with clean water, and cook for 30 minutes or so. The cooking time depends on your preference. I like them al-dante so 30 minutes was just the right amount of time. However, if you prefer them to be softer, feel free to cook longer until they reach to your desired consistency.
Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Peaches and Pecans
- 1 cup black eyed peas rinsed and drained
For the dressing:
- 1 teaspoon lime zest from 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 garlic clove peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the salad:
- 3 ounces frisee washed, dried, and chopped into small pieces
- 3 peaches halved and sliced thinly
- 1/2 small red onion sliced thinly (half moon)
- 1/4 cup pecans toasted & chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chopped coarsely
- 1 jalapeno chile seeded & chopped finely
- To cook the Black Eyed Peas: Place the black-eyed peas in a medium size saucepan, cover it water, and bring it to a boil. Let them boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove pot from the heat and let it cool for an hour. Drain water and replace it with fresh cooking water. Place it back on the stove, bring it to a boil, and let it simmer for 25-35 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- * Alternatively, you can use 2 - 14 oz. canned black-eyed peas.
- To make the dressing: Whisk lime zest & juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- To assemble: Place frisee in a salad bowl. Add in the cooked black- eyed peas, peaches, red onion slices, pecans, basil leaves, and jalapeno. Give it a gentle stir. Drizzle it with the dressing, transfer to a large salad plate, and serve.
*Alternatively, you can use 2 - 14 oz. canned black-eyed peas.