For months now, I have been trying to convince my husband to join me to become a vegetarian during the course of one month.
There are a couple of reasons for that. (1) I want to practice my vegetarian cooking skills, (2) I want to share more vegetarian recipes on my blog, and (3) I want to see if it will make a difference in the way I feel about my overall health.
Though, I could not get him to agree to be fully vegetarian for a month, I got a better deal. We agreed that from now on, we would eat vegetarian meals 3 days out of a week.
In my quest to learn to create the best vegetarian dishes, I am working on salads that are meal-worthy and delicious. My goal is to find recipes with the most flavors and with practice my skills with ingredients that I am not used to using. This way, not only we can experience different tastes at home, but also, I can share recipes with a variety of ingredients on Foolproof Living.
Even after my first try, this Wild Rice salad ended up being one that I would be making over and over again.
Up until I made this salad, I had never cooked wild rice before. By no means it was not difficult to make, but it took a whooping 50 minutes for it to cook. However, once it was ready, putting the salad together was fairly easy and quick. All I had to do was to chop the fruit, make a quick vinaigrette, and place all ingredients in a salad bowl. After I gave it a gentle stir, I allowed it to sit in the fridge for a little while for all flavors to combine and do their magical things.
At the end we both agreed that the crunchy toasted pecans mixed with flavorful scallions gave it an amazing flavor to ensure the perfect balance of sweet and sour.
With its pretty colors, this Wild Rice Salad is a perfect dish just by itself or as an alternative to accompany any of your vegetarian or non-vegetarian dishes for any occasion.Print
Wild Rice Salad
- 4 cups water
- 1-cup wild rice
- 1-tablespoon butter
- 1 cup green grapes, cut in half
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped – both green and white parts
- 1-cup pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1-tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the wild rice, 1-teaspoon salt, and butter. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until most of the rice is split and tender, 45-50 minutes.
- Remove it from heat and let stand, covered, for 5-10 minutes.
- In the mean time, place the grapes, orange slices, scallions, pecans, and cranberries in a large salad bowl.
- Stir in the wild rice.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix orange juice, oil, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the wild rice salad. Give it a large stir.
- Garnish with orange zest.
- Allow it to sit 30 minutes in the fridge for all the flavors to blend before serving.
Recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa’s Cookbook – How Easy Is That?.