A bona fide classic, nothing goes better with a cheesy, chicken parmigiana recipe than a hearty pasta side. Pasta recipes are tasty and simple, which makes them the ultimate pairing for your protein-packed main. You’ll never wonder what pasta to serve with chicken parmesan with these yummy ideas.
- Mushroom and Pea Pasta: Equal parts earthy and tart, this easy recipe comes together in less than half an hour. Bright lemon zest balances perfectly with the robust garlic, earthy peas, and meaty mushrooms of this delicious side dish.
- Elote Pasta Salad: This Mexican-inspired vibrant pasta dish bursts with tangy, fresh, and spicy flavors. Savory cotija cheese, lime juice, and sweet corn come together for a simple side you’ll want to serve with all your chicken mains.
- Vegan Mac and Cheese: If you’re looking for a soy-free, dairy-free side to pair with your healthy chicken parmesan, this classic comfort food takes the cake. When you want a plant-based recipe to pair with, this is one of the best pastas for chicken parmesan.
- Eggplant Pomodoro Pasta: Hearty Italian ingredients—like rich homemade tomato sauce (similar to marinara sauce), briny green olives, and tender eggplant—make this pasta a fan favorite. What pasta goes with chicken parmesan better than a pasta dish that is similar to eggplant parmesan?
If you are wondering what kind of pasta to serve with chicken parmesan, why not try a veggie-friendly option? Low-carb, low-calorie, and low-maintenance, these vegetable noodles are the perfect sides for any weeknight chef. Using only ingredients from local grocery stores, dinner will be ready in no time.
- Butternut Squash Noodles: Making angel hair pasta from scratch is a cinch with this delicious recipe. This tantalizing side brims with robust and nutty flavors. Who can resist toasted walnuts, black pepper, and sharp parmesan cheese?
- Zucchini Noodles: If you’ve ever wondered, “What can I serve with chicken parmesan that won’t take forever to make?”, this low-carb, low calorie, and gluten-free dish is for you! All you need is five ingredients and twenty minutes.
Looking for side dishes for chicken parmesan besides pasta? These garden-fresh salad recipes are just what you need. Brighten up your Italian spread with sides as refreshing as they are easy. These simple salads make some of the best baked chicken parmesan sides out there. And as a bonus, they are healthy too.
- Boston Lettuce Salad: You don’t need more than twenty minutes to put together this bright and zesty side. Silky butter lettuce and sweet green peas taste out of this world when tossed with my homemade lemon vinaigrette.
- Roasted Asparagus Salad: Spicy red radish, kalamata olives, and juicy cherry tomatoes make colorful additions to this delicious vegetable side dish. Plus, with my simple Baked Asparagus Recipe, your asparagus will be crisp, tender, and utterly to-die-for.
- Tomato Mozzarella Salad: This vibrant salad puts a garden-fresh spin on traditional Caprese flavors. Only four simple ingredients are necessary to toss with this recipe’s lemon balsamic vinaigrette, including fresh mozzarella cheese.
- Healthy Cucumber Salad: Fresh cucumber tastes delicious when paired with the tangy greek yogurt dressing. It is creamy, delicious, and perfectly seasoned. Who can say no to the vivid green of this delectable recipe?
- Spring Mix Salad: What is better than a delicious spring mix green salad to serve with chicken. This 15 minute salad might be the easiest side dish for chicken parm you can make while it is baking in the oven.
- Turkish White Bean Salad: Here is a dish with just as much Mediterranean flair! It only takes 10 minutes to put together this recipe’s zesty dressing, juicy tomatoes, and creamy white beans. Plus, it is visually appealing making it a perfect pairing for any special occasion.
- Quinoa Mediterranean Salad: This 30-minute recipe is a simple, versatile, and flavorful salad to go with chicken parmesan. Packed with red onions, feta cheese, Persian cucumbers, it is perfect if you want to serve something that has the Mediterranean flavors. Plus, if quinoa is your jam, we have many other quinoa salad recipes that you can choose from.
- Classic Caesar Salad: When thinking about what to eat with chicken parm, this simple green romaine lettuce salad is a must! Creamy, rich, and bright, this classic Caesar salad will dazzle your tastebuds with notes of lemon juice and fresh garlic.
- Cauliflower Broccoli Salad: Get the best smoky, crunchy, and sweet flavors with this nutritious side dish. Tossed with turkey bacon bits and roasted broccoli florets, this salad is one of my favorite sides to go with parmesan-crusted chicken.
Vegetable Side Dishes
Now, onto the veggies… These healthy sides for chicken parmesan are packed with nutrients and fiber that will keep you feeling both satisfied and fit. No one can say no to these superfood-packed side dishes that are easy and quick to make.
- Garlic Green Beans: Buttery, tender, and crisp green beans are one of the best sides to have with panko crusted chicken cutlets. This versatile veggie can be customized with dozens of toppings to make your Italian menu a family favorite.
- Mexican Street Corn: It often feels like a chore to find healthy sides for chicken parm, but this tasty side makes the work disappear! Grilled corn, smoky chili powder, and tangy sour cream will bring out the best flavors in your parmesan-crusted chicken cutlets.
- My go-to easy recipe for Eggplant Parmesan: Can’t get enough of the Italian flavors? Here is yet another delicious side dish made with similar flavors. Though this eggplant parmesan recipe is easier than its classic version as it is made by baking eggplant slices and then layering them with homemade tomato sauce and cheese.
- Mashed Potato Casserole: If you want a potato side dish for your chicken parm, this decadent recipe is just what you need. This layered mashed potatoes recipe is silky-smooth, double-layered, and topped with mouthwatering ingredients.
- Eggplant Involtini: Wondering what vegetables go with chicken parmesan? Out of all the Italian side dishes, this ricotta cheese and eggplant recipe makes one of the most delicious pairings. Top this dish with extra cheese for a parmesan side dish that’s out of this world.
- Sweet Potato Brussels Sprout Quinoa Bowl: Every bite of this vegan and gluten-free side bursts with smoky, autumnal flavor. Nutty pumpkin seeds, smoky roasted brussels sprouts, and sweet potatoes make for an enticing combination.
Whole Grain Dishes
What sides go with chicken parmesan better than warm, hearty whole grain? With these five-star recipes, you’ll never have to wonder what goes well with chicken parmesan other than pasta ever again. The whole family will adore these tasty sides.
- Wild Rice Pilaf: This delicious dish is vegan, gluten-free, and packed with flavorsome veggies. Plus, when you follow my guide to how to cook wild rice, your recipe will explode with flavor, whether you cook it on the stove, microwave, pressure cooker, or beyond.
- Bulgur Pilaf: This bulgur pilaf recipe is a filling Turkish staple made with juicy tomato and tender chickpeas. My recipe for how to cook bulgur will even have you serving up this side in little time.
- Lemon Quinoa: You’ll want to add this zesty and well-seasoned dish to your collection of favorite quinoa recipes. No dish can beat this simple side’s fresh herbs, bold shallots, zesty lemon, and fluffy quinoa.
Appetizers to Serve it With
Making a menu isn’t just about the main event. That’s why you can’t go wrong with these delicious appetizers to go with chicken parmesan! These gourmet recipes would make good sides for your main meal and make your dinner guests ask for seconds.
- Roasted Delicata Squash: Smoky, delicately sweet, and colorful, this breathtaking appetizer will make any Instagram foodie jump for joy.
- Eggplant Yogurt: Eggplant Yogurt is one of the most delicious appetizers you can serve with parmesan-crusted chicken. Tangy, creamy, and garlicky, this Greek-inspired appetizer will prepare any palate for your succulent main dish.
- Olive Bread with Olive Oil Dip: Among the best side dishes in my recipe box, this crusty bread is one of the most popular to serve with parmesan-crusted chicken. Simple yet elegant, this Italian food comes to life when paired with my sumptuous olive oil bread dip.
- Garlic Bread: You don’t need to spend hours with this easy recipe by Smitten Kitchen. Even beginner chefs can make gourmet eats with this classic Italian dish.
I hope this roundup post answered your question of what is a good side dish for chicken parmesan. The good thing is that many of these recipes would also pair well with our other simple chicken dishes like Baked Bone-In Chicken Breast and Whole Roasted Chicken. So go ahead and start building your menu and feed your family with these delicious side dishes.
20+ Chicken Parmesan Sides: Classic Caesar Salad Recipe & More
For the Croutons:
- 3 thick slices bread cut into 1-inch cubes (I use multi-grain)
- 1 garlic clove peeled and pressed through a garlic press or minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Dressing & Salad:
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and pressed through a garlic press or minced
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste*
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 ounces 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese – divided
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts rinsed and dried – cut into 3/4 –inch pieces
To make the Croutons:
- Place bread cubes into a bowl. Add minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and salt. Give it a toss, squeezing gently so the bread absorbs the oil.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Transfer seasoned bread into the skillet.
- Cook, stirring frequently until browned and crisp, 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer croutons to a bowl and set aside.
To make the Dressing & Assemble the Salad:
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, egg yolks, minced garlic, anchovy paste, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. While continuing to whisk constantly, drizzle olive oil into the bowl in a steady stream until fully emulsified.
- Add 1/2 cup grated Parmesan and whisk until incorporated.
- Right before serving, add the croutons and drizzle the dressing over romaine lettuce and give it a gentle toss to coat.
- Sprinkle it with more Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- Not a fan of anchovies? Use an equal amount of capers or chopped pitted kalamata olives.
- If you can’t get your hands on anchovy paste, use 3 anchovy fillets mashed into a paste with the side of a knife blade.
- Not a fan of using raw egg yolks? Replace them with 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard and 1 tablespoon mayonnaise.
- To Make Ahead:
- Croutons: Cook as directed and cool. Store in an airtight container or plastic bag at room temperature for up to a week.
- Creamy Caesar Dressing: Whisk and transfer to a mason jar or airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To Store Leftovers: Place in an airtight container, store in the fridge and be sure to consume the next day.